A Sneak Peek At 2007
I have always enjoyed reading SEO and internet related predictions that seem to pop up at the end of each year. It's like seeing into the future, All be it an imaginary future. So i figured it would be fun if i attempt to make a few predictions of my own. I have a few in mind but I'm hoping that more will come to me as i write this.
- Yahoo Will Acquire A Video site - Since Yahoo were in talks with youtube just before Google closed the deal i think they will actively be looking to purchase an online video site such as dailymotion or metacafe.
- RSS Will Explode - With IE7 (and vista) offering easy RSS feed functionality to microsoft users and the increase in online feed-reader-portal-sites such as netvibes i predict that a lot more people will start using RSS feeds to receive content. Up to now RSS was only really used by internet savvy people and was slightly out of the reach of regular users.
- A Drop In Traffic Will See Digg Sold - Digg seems to be living in a bubble, But it's becoming apparent that it will soon start running into problems. I predict that a huge drop (50%+) in traffic will push digg to sell and i predict the buyer will either be Fox, Yahoo or Netscape.
- MySpace Will Start Dying - 2007 will see the beginning of the end of myspace. It has ridden on i's "coolness" for too long and it will start being quite "un-cool" as more and more people realise it's full of slow loading, bloated pages, that contain utter shit
- "MOZ" Will Announce A New Directory - Something needs to be done with dmoz, And i think what they will decide to do is focus on building a new directory for the web 2.0 era which will use tags instead of categories.
- NASA World Wind:1 - Google Earth:0 - NASA World Wind will case big waves and it will be the "earth" application of 2007, Which will see Google Earth slip away. No doubt google wont take this laying down though.
- Remember The Zune? - Late 2007 will see Microsoft declare the Zune a failure and they will announced that it's to be discontinued in 2008
- Microsoft Pagerank - Microsoft will release their own version of googles pagerank which will be displayed in IE via a bar (That's all we need, But i can see it happening)