Top 10 Ways To Get On The Digg Front Page - What Would Kevin Rose Do?
Most people have heard about digg. It's that place that the ill-informed hang out, Bitch about Microsoft, talk about how great Kevin Rose is and pretend they all use Linux. Having said that, getting on the front page of Digg is what every webmaster and blogger wants, It will drive thousands of visitors to your site.
having spent some time looking around Digg, Not submitting anything, Not digging anything and not commenting on anything i think i have figured out what kind of post gets the diggs from the types of people who "Digg". So i though i would throw together a list of things you can do to make sure you have a big chance of getting your articles on the front page of digg.
The main thing to remember about Digg is that it is like slashdot for kids. In fact, That could be it's tag line.
(in no particular order)
- Write about Digg - As a whole Digg is about a narcissistic as it gets. It loves it's self and loves to hear about it's self. So if you can pander to Diggs ego the Digg drones are sure to "Digg" you.
- Mention Kevin Rose - 99% of diggers see Kevin Rose as some kind of god. They are sycophantic no-hopers who think that by clinging to the coat tails of a man who still thinks drinking beer on a couch with his fat friend makes him "cool" they can get some kind of recognision for themselves. I have even seen a video of Kevin Rose spilling a beer get on the front page.
- Bitch about Microsoft - Even though most of the "diggers" are sitting there using ME they like to whine on about how crap "M$" is. So give them something to chew on, Even if it's a story about a 3 year old internet explorer exploit.
- Make your title look like it's written by a 12 year old AOLer - "Linux kernel patch released" is a bad title "OMG AMAZIN NSFW VIDEO LOL" good title. See how that works?
- Make it up - If you have to, Make it up. These people aren't going to research it. Most of them can just about read.
- Insult the pariah - Insult people diggers don't like. Write about Bill gates and how he is probably gay, how George Bush is an idiot or how Family Guy uses too many flash back scenes.
- Appeal to the fanboys - Digg is littered with fanboys. Find a subject that has a big fanboy following and write about it. You can have this one for free "TOP 10 reasons Apple pwns M$".
- Firefox firefox firefox - Firefox is better than IE right? Of course it is (though it is still just a leaky browser). For most diggers using Firefox is as close to Linux as they will get, So they grab this with both hands, Digg it and comment on your article.
- Top 10 - Make it a top 10. Even if it's not. Make the Diggers think that by reading a simple list they will get easy to understand information on a group of items and knowledge about which is better than the other.
- Include a graph - Images are good, It means less reading, Diggers like that. So include a few images, like a random graph you have found. They may try to figure out what the graph means but when they fail they will just assume they don't understand it because they are an idiot.